Friday 19 March 2010

First Draft Article

It’s the 24th March 2010, and as Gee points out, the 5th anniversary of her band ‘Penguin Playsuit’ formation. After bursting onto our scenes two years ago with the catchy yet increasingly annoying ‘The adventures of Robin Hoodie’ –she sits shaking her head at the mention of this title, slightly cringing.
‘I got sick to death of ‘Robin Hoodie’, I hate the way it sounds, I hate the music the band used to make, and I hated it all’
Selfish you may think seeing as our love of their self titled debut album ‘Penguin Playsuit' won them the Best New Band Award at the NME Awards last year and got them nominated for Best Single at the Brits. They also featured on BBC’s Sound of the Year in 2008, so what is Gee's problem?
‘The music was naive, I was 19 at the time, I thought I was a poet, the next Sylvia Plath or whatever, I also enjoyed the synth keyboard a bit too much.’
Throwing her head back laughing, you can see why the British public has embraced this young artist. She was even voted Young Style Icon of the year and topped a poll of best hair.

However, this protégé of music is venturing from the safety of her band and has decided to release a solo album to ‘see how it goes’.
The grade 7 pianist and violinist studied English Literature at Exeter University where she met most of her band. Luckily for her, one of the band members had close links to a man who would later go on and produce ‘Penguin Playsuit’
‘It was odd to think my friend knew Rostam Batmanglij’
Rostam is the producer of Vampire Weekends two albums and also a guitarist in the band –
‘But they were distantly related of something so we made contact with him after about a year’s practise; we didn’t think it would go well at all’

However, her solo album is being produced by the up and coming Starsmith, the mastermind behind Ellie Gouldings ‘Lights’
‘Although I loved working with Rostam I wanted to release this with fresh blood, I want a new take on my music’

But if you think the line of award winning people wanting to work with Gee or Penguin Playsuit stops there, think again. Production monsters Hammer and Tongs made the ‘The Adventures of Robin Hoodie’ video after being impressed by the bands talent –
‘I wanted to work with them as soon as Polydor contacted me’ says Garth Jennings, one half of the company, ‘I heard of them as we created Vampire Weekends ‘A-punk’ as Rostam [Batmanglij] was working with them’

Gee has decided to work with Kinga Burza, director of Kate Nash’s ‘Foundations’ and Katy Perry’s ‘I Kissed a Girl’. Saying again that she wanted a fresh start from the band, it seems she has distanced herself from the band and all the people she worked with -
‘Not at all, I appreciate all the help I got but I don’t want to be accused of being a one trick pony, I want to prove I can be different.’
It seems that a changing image is important to this artist, much to the distaste of Elly Jackson, lead vocalist and front woman of La Roux.
‘I don’t have a clue what her problem is, where it came from or why she hates me or the band’
Elly and Gee were spotted arguing at the recent NME due to Jacksons backhanded comments:
‘I mean at least we’ve won awards’
La Roux won an NME Award for Best Dancefloor Filler this year; however it was for the Skream Remix of the song.

So what’s in store for this young artist?
‘Well me and the band are going on tour – we’re the support act for...The Arctic Monkeys – I can hardly believe it. They haven’t toured in ages either.

And her biggest ambition?
‘I want the band to be as legendary as The Smiths, but I wanna be Debbie Harris meets Cheryl Cole but cooler. Much Cooler.’

No comments:

Post a Comment